Got watermelon? Try something new with this Watermelon-Cucumber Salad with Feta for an unexpectedly delicious, sweet-savory side dish that just screams “summer.”
Melons of all kinds are coming in hot right now at farmer’s markets, roadside stands, CSA boxes and supermarkets across North America as we reach the height of summer. Few would argue that nothing says “summer” like a big, juicy watermelon. And nothing really beats a big bowl of watermelon on a hot day…until now. This Watermelon-Cucumber Salad with Feta promises to give that bowl of plain watermelon a run for its money.
Sweet Meets Savory.
I don’t know why this salad “works,” but it just does. Even though it may seem like an unusual combination of ingredients there’s something about the sweet watermelon, crunchy cucumbers, tart lime, salty feta and fresh mint that makes it unbelievably delicious and refreshing.
Prep Ahead (but not too far ahead!).
I’ll be the first to say that this salad is an excellent choice for potlucks and parties and impromptu backyard barbecues. I know because when testing the recipe I made it three times and served it for each of those occasions and got rave reviews. It’s also great for meal preps, BUT there’s a caveat and that’s that you can’t make it too far in advance or you’ll have a watery, somewhat soggy mess on your hands. That being said, here are my tips for prepping it ahead:
- Cube the watermelon and dice the cucumber up to 1 day in advance, storing them separately in covered containers in the fridge until ready to use.
- Slice the shallots or red onions up to 2 days in advance. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Prepare the dressing up to 2 days in advance. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
When it’s go-time, gently toss everything together and serve.
Ready, set, enjoy!
Serve this Watermelon-Cucumber Salad with Feta alongside your favorite protein for an easy, refreshing and unexpectedly delicious side dish that celebrates the freshest flavors that summer has to offer.
Hungry for More? Subscribe to get our newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And be sure to stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 4 cups watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup cucumber, diced (may peel, if desired)
- 2 tsp. avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- Juice + zest of 1 lime (about 1 Tbsp. juice)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped or torn
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. thinly sliced red onion or shallots
- 3 cups arugula or other greens of choice
- Place watermelon cubes, cucumber, and mint in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, lime zest and juice, and salt to make the dressing. Whisk to combine and add more salt, if needed, to taste.
- Pour dressing over watermelon, cucumbers, mint, and shallots. Toss gently to combine. Add feta and again, gently combine.
- Serve immediately.
This salad should be made just before serving for best results. If made ahead, it can get quite watery so our suggestion is to make the dressing (up to 2 days in advance) and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to toss it with the watermelon, cucumbers, mint, and feta.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!
- Serving Size: 1/4th recipe
- Calories: 125
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 175mg
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 4g
What’s your favorite way to use watermelon in a recipe? Share in the comments below.
Pin it now & Make it later!
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and maintenance so we greatly appreciate your support.